When we first moved in to our 1911 house in Colorado Springs, we used the dining room as the office. I like having my computer downstairs near the kitchen and laundry room. Plus our living room was big enough to have our dining table in it. But when we decided to sell the house we thought we should have a more conventional floor plan, so we moved the office upstairs and used the dining room as a real dining room.
This room just needed patching, painting, and hardware stripping.
Before and after. Looks like the former owners started to strip the trim but gave up. Stripping paint is a huge undertaking and this wood just wasn't that nice, so not worth it. Plus the white trim (Benjamin Moore Cotton Balls) looks really nice against the Benjamin Moore Grey Owl on the walls.
Another view of the dining room "after".
There was no overhead light so we finally got this fun lamp at Habitat For Humanity ReStore for six bucks! It had a gold chain so we spray painted it black.
We were really happy with how this room came out. Much better as a dining room than an office!
Edit: I just saw this lamp for sale online. LOL.
Our 1911 Craftsman house in Colorado Springs needed some fixing-up when we bought it. When we discovered we needed to sell it shortly after we bought it, we started on a four month renovation.
The bathroom and the kitchen were the rooms that required the most work. The rest of the place just needed some sprucing up.
The bedroom needed some patching, some sanding down of wood trim, and some paint. We also stripped all the old paint off the hardware as we did in every other room.
Painting the bedroom in neutral Benjamin Moore Horizon, with Benjamin Moore Cotton Balls on the trim.
Lots of cracks in the plaster that needed to be fixed.
Sanding down the wood doors for repainting. If we were going to live there we would have spent the time and money and had them professionally stripped.
Sometimes it's the little things. We changed out the light switch to a dimmer. Also, we replaced all the off white outlet covers with white ones.
Once we were done painting, we noticed it needed some caulk. Oops, that was backwards. But it looked fine because the caulk and the trim colors were pretty much identical.
The bedroom before and after
The floors didn’t need anything but a good scrubbing. We were pretty happy with the results!