Just one more week left in the holiday season. I bet you’re stuffed! But you still gotta eat. Soup is the perfect food for the week between Christmas and New Years. It’s easy (sick of cooking yet?), it’s light (maybe you’ll be able to button your jeans), and it’s simple (after all the excess of the holidays). This soup is crazy good given how easy it is to make, the fact that there are only 4 ingredients, and takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish. I got the recipe from Real Simple Magazine ages ago and make it all the time. It goes great with the cornbread I posted about last week. Everyone I’ve ever made it for requests it again and again.
Black Bean Soup
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 2 cans of black beans
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- Sour cream or plain yogurt (optional for topping)
- Heat the salsa in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 5 or 6 minutes. You want to release the aroma and take a little of the raw edge off it.
- Stir in the beans and broth, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes- you can simmer longer if you’re busy doing something else, just keep an eye on it.
- Using an immersion blender blend it to make it a creamy soup. You can blend it as much or as little as you want- just get it to the consistency you like.
- Serve with a dollop of the sour cream or yogurt and some salsa.