We were super into Rancho Liborio’s tacos — they were so authentically good and so cheap. But sadly, Rancho Liborio recently closed. We also loved Cafe El Paso and Blue Agave’s tacos. But, they closed, too. Still, there are a few other decent taco places around. We never found any fancy taco places with exotic ingredients like we have in Chicago , but if we just missed them, please tell us about them!
Here are our favorite Colorado Springs tacos, in order.
1. Monica’s Taco Shop. It took us 4 years to go here, and then, when we did we were unhappy that we didn’t go earlier. So, if you’ve seen this place and never gone in, just do it already! Crunchy taco shells with tasty filling. But the thing that really elevates the tacos here is the sauce. I am not usually into lots of hot sauce or salsa or whatever but this stuff is awesome. Seriously makes it.
2. La Perla Tapatia: We went when it was over by Garden of the Gods but they’ve since moved. One of the most delicious thing in the taco world is potato tacos. And the only place I’ve seen them in Colorado Springs is at La Perla. But I don’t see them on the new menu on their website now. Maybe you should just ask when you go in. The rest of their menu is also good — the most unique taco place in COS, I think.
3. El Poblano: We’ve talked about this place before because they have pupusas – the only place in town that does — and they’re delicious. Their tacos and burritos are also really good. They also have agua fresca that’s as good as Rancho Liborio’s was.
4. Arceos Mexican Restaurant: This one is sort of cheating because it’s an actual sit-down restaurant, not a taco joint. But since we are doing all our wrap-ups we’ll include it since don’t have a category for just regular Mexican restaurants. Plus their tacos are delish.
5. Salsa Latina: Let’s get this out of the way first. They have idiotic hours — only open till 6:30 during the week and closed on weekends, both Saturday and Sunday. When downtown businesses decide to have normal hours, maybe downtown Colorado Springs will amount to something. Also, they don’t take plastic. Lame. But their food is pretty good.
So, there you go. Some basic but tasty tacos in Colorado Springs. What are your favorites?